Personal Injury Claims and the Foreign Exchange Student

by Bradley S.
(Rockville, MD)

We hosted a Spanish exchange student this past year. She just returned to Madrid a couple of weeks ago. We were hit by a man who ran a stop sign and his insurance company has already accepted responsibility for all of our damages and expenses. The insurance company wants to know how to get in touch with her because she went to the emergency room along with the rest of us after the accident. As far as I know she is fine now. Her parents are not sure what they want to do if anything (she is a minor). We haven’t seen any medical bills yet. What should we do? Mei S., Maryland

Beyond reporting the accident and notifying the insurance company that injuries were involved, there is really nothing that you are obligated to do. If any of the exchange student’s medical bills come to your mailing address, you may want to forward them to the insurance company as a courtesy so that the bills can be paid under your first-party (PIP or Med Pay) coverage.

The girl’s parents are the people to handle her claim since she is a minor; the fact that they reside in a different country does not matter. Her personal injury claim will have the same value that it would if she lived in the U.S. Her claim will also be subject to the same statute of limitations (three years if this accident happened in Maryland where you are located).

The best thing that you can do is just pass on the girl’s name, parent names and contact information and then let it go. It is the insurance adjuster’s job to make contact, handle and attempt to settle the claim if that is what her parents want to do.

This article is written for informational purposes and is not intended to take the place of competent local legal counsel.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Invitation 1 - All-purpose.